Friday, September 28, 2012

Home Is Where The Heart Is?

As I mentioned in a previous entry, we are living back at my mother's house in an unfinished basement while we settle all the probate stuff and continue looking for the right home for our family. It is definitely a blow to self confidence (especially when your 30th birthday is a week away), but in all honesty, I know it will be fine. We've lived here before, and hopefully this will give us the jumpstart we need to find our own home to stay in! Not rent a crappy apartment with crappy landlords and crappy neighbors ;)

I know nowadays in this economy it's not all that uncommon for people to move back into sometimes not ideal living situations(ie an unfinished basement), so I figured I would share the progress of the basement as we make it our temporary living quarters. 

That being said, I bring you :
Day 1:


Here it is after a good cleaning and vacuuming. Looks like a dungeon, right?

Day 2:
Here's a dungeon with carpet remnants (we were lucky enough to find a big piece of the same carpet!) It does help quite a bit though.

We have furniture and things in here, but it looks like a bomb went off right now with baby toys and empty boxes, so I will do another progress picture once I can make some ACTUAL progress again. (read: when the baby FINALLY naps)

Our realtor has continued to send us listings even though we are not actively looking at the moment (though we have been for 4 months prior to my father's passing). Nothing really notable though. I'm hoping the right house will come along at the perfect moment.

In more random notes: I'm sad it's not garage sale season here anymore, because I have a TON of things I need to get rid of, and wouldn't mind making a couple bucks off of it to put into our house fund/savings.

The upsides to being back here is being closer to my family through the holiday seasons which will undoubtedly be rough this year without my father for the first time. Always someone there to lean on. Watching my mother and brothers faces light up when Piper giggles or smiles alone is priceless. Riley is MUCH happier not having to share a yard with mean dogs. Lots of stairs (bye bye baby weight!)

Sounds like a fair trade off to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment