Thursday, April 4, 2013

Who Were The Old Wives? And Where Did They Come Up With This S*$@?

Patience. It's never been my strong suit. I don't like feeling like I'm not in control of whatever situation I might find myself in. The best example of this of course, is when I've been pregnant.

It's a LONG wait to 20 weeks. You grow attached to this little womb invader QUICKLY. You wonder who they will look like? Will there be recessive genes? Are you the family member who will have the red haired, freckled recessive gene baby? What kind of personality will they have? How big will they grow before you  get to see them? You want to talk to him/her. This is where my problem is formed.

I don't WANT to wait to know what I'm having. I have a burning NEED to know the sex of the baby at the first possible chance. Of course now there are all kinds of tests out where you can find out through blood work, but if you aren't advanced maternal age they want at least $800 out of pocket for those tests. And spending that amount of money on something that isn't a necessity when I know that I will be having a much more expensive situation later on, just isn't an option. 

This leads me to old wives tales. We've all heard them, for various things. And I've decided that I will be trying each one that I can find to figure out who is in my belly.

Let us begin:

1.) If you are carrying high, you are having a boy. Carrying low, you are having a girl.

If you compare this pregnancy to my last one, I am definitely carrying higher. In fact, if this baby sits any higher, my lungs will cease to exist. Or so it feels.

2.) A girl steals your beauty : therefore if you are carrying a girl you will have acne or other not-so-pretty skin blemishes. If you have dry hands and cold feet, you're having a boy.

The verdict is out on this one. I am lucky enough to look like a teenager in terms of pimples during pregnancy, my hands are dry due to work, and my feet are always cold. I'd say this isn't a viable test.
3.) Take off your wedding ring, tie it to a piece of string, and hang it over your belly. If it swings in a circle, you are promised a boy; back and forth indicates a girl.

This test indicated a boy.
 
4.) There is one involving peeing in a cup and mixing it with Drano, but I opted for the safer version: Pee in a cup, and mix in a tablespoon of baking soda. If this mixture fizzes, you are having a boy, if not, you are having a girl.

This did not fizz at all for me.
 
5.) If your baby has a heart rate of 140 or higher, you are having a girl. Under 140? It's a boy!

Either or! I've had appts where it was both higher, and lower than 140.
6.) If you are craving salty or sour foods, you are having a boy. Sweet Tooth? It's a girl!

Just like last pregnancy, I am a salt hound right now. 
7.) If you are greatly affected by morning sickness, it's a girl. If you have a pretty easy ride in terms of this, it's a boy!

Compared to my pregnancy with Piper, I have BARELY had any morning sickness at all. Thank god.

No comments:

Post a Comment